4 Julho, 2019
Location: The positions are residential in the city of Tete which is approximately 30 km away from the mine.
Vale Mozambique is currently seeking 2 Principal Coal Geologists to join our Long-term Mine Planning Team to support the Moatize Coal Mine in Mozambique. The Moatize Coal Mine is an operating mine located in province of Tete, Northwestern Mozambique. The Moatize operation is controlled and operated by VALE. The mine is fully integrated with the Nacala railway corridor and deep-sea port in the City of Nacala, also operated by VALE. The mine is an open pit mining operation.
The project is located in a large 23,000-hectare mining concession which contain several other deposits which are currently being explored. Under current production rate the mine is expected to last for approximately 40 years. The current operation counts with 2 large CHPP facilities capable of processing over 40 to 50 Mt ROM/ per year. Currently the project is during the ramp up stage, but at the nominal capacity level, Moatize will become one of the largest metallurgical coal mines in the world.
Reporting to the Manager of Mineral Resources Evaluation which is part of the Long-Term Planning department, the individuals will provide technical expertise in specific geological fields such drilling, sampling, mineral exploration, geological modelling, coal quality, coal data analysis, definition of exploration campaigns and overall evaluation of resources and reserves for ensuring sufficient proven and probable resources are made available to the planning and production teams in timely and planned manner.
- B.Sc. or higher academic degree in geology/ Geological Engineering with strong geological background.
- 10+ years of relevant coal experience: Chief/Principal Geologist or other senior project geological role supporting mine planning or coal production technical services areas, Coal exploration and geology. Relevant experience in development of coal projects in feasibility and bankable feasibility studies will be highly regarded.
- Experience across multiple facets of coal geology/mining activities in the development of coal projects. Areas of expertise entail analysis of coal quality data, integration of coal quality and geology, leading and supervising drilling programs, deep understanding of coal sampling protocols and best practice.
- Used to manage drilling, laboratory and technical services contracts on behalf of the company
- Lead or participated into feasibility studies following JORC regulations
- Proficiency (>5 years) in geological modelling including database validation and software packages such as VULCAN and/or Minex.
- Be a highly motivated individual with greater team spirit and drive for excellence
- Experience to have worked in challenging work environments
- Effective written and oral communication skills in English (AISL > 7.0) Portuguese intermediate will be highly appreciated.
- Eager to train, coach and upskill younger members of the team.