UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
- And we never give up.
- For every child
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child at all times, focusing on equity and emphasizing the needs of the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favouritism. Supply Division’s work continues to be a direct input to development programmes, including delivery of supplies required by programmes working towards the UNICEF SP result areas, and revolves around innovation, influencing markets, supply chain optimization and capacity development.
Procurement centers are responsible for the supply operation, including strategic market intelligence, forecasting, procurement, delivery, innovation and analysis of product groups and procurement strategies. The contracting function leads in expertise on the supply landscape, markets, value for money and interaction with global partners to increase access and sustainable supply which can be accessed by government buyers. The incumbent provides support to optimization projects and is responsible for technical assistance and knowledge management, including knowledge sharing via communication pieces on key products/markets and publication of information.
Job organizational context
This position is in the Supply unit which is part of the Operations Section in Mozambique Country Office. The position reports to the Supply and Logistics Manager.
- How can you make a difference?
Purpose for the job
Under the general guidance of the Supply and Logistics Manager, the incumbent is expected to support the Education section in all construction and supply contracting processes in accordance with UNICEF Rules and Regulations and to participate in planning, development and execution of procurement of the selected portfolio of services, including proposing method of purchase, to support and ensuring quality delivery of such services.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks
- Ensures all procurement activities are in compliance with the UNICEF Financial Rules and Regulations, SD Manual, and all other applicable procurement procedures;
- Review requirements to ensure and competitive qualities, identify priority activities and assignments; adjust priorities as required, develops clear goals and resources for completing work;
- Solicit and evaluate bids/proposals/quotations to ensure overall competitiveness, quality and conformity to specified requirements, clarifies offers and negotiates with suppliers, as appropriate;
- Compile and present procurement data prepare all relevant supporting documents and recommend approval of the Service Contract, Long Term Arrangements (LTA) or purchase order; may authorized purposes in line with delegated authority, and, in cases where the amount exceeds authorized signature authority, prepare submissions to the Contract Review Committee. Ensure all procurement activities are in compliance with UNICEF Financial Rules and Regulations, SD Manual and all other applicable procurement procedures;
- Review workload and coordinates placement of Contracts and/or Purchase Orders to ensure quick response to requests received from sections;
- Works in close contact with the other sections in the CO to ensure successful implementation of the procurement cycle;
- In partnership with the Education section evaluates suppliers with respect to service delivery performance and commercial acceptability;
- Any other duties or assignments as requested by the supervisor.
Impact of Results:
- Ensure service-delivery on country programme and procurement services requests that is timely, responsive, and appropriate, achieves value for money and works in concert with national systems and partners. Accomplish such via targeted procurement strategies, including quality and end to end supply chain performance objectives and monitoring;
- Requirements for coordinated and efficient support to center processes and analysis met;
- Requirements for coordinated supply and deliveries to sections for the designated needs are met;
- Contribute to UNICEF MOCO maintaining commitments to and relationships with strategic partners and contribute to the team’s innovation and process improvement activities.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A university degree in business administration, procurement, supply management or technical field required;
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible professional experience in procurement and contracting;
- Experience in commercial activities with the public or private sector in developing countries;
- Experience in procurement/contracting in construction would be an asset;
- Experience from analytical work and negotiations;
- Experience and ability to manage and monitor the effective use of financial and material resources;
- Experience in use of computer applications, including internet navigation and various office applications;
- Fluency in English and proficiency in Portuguese languages are required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Apply For This Job
To apply for this job please visit www.unicef.org.
Opening Date Mon Nov 11 2019 01:00:00 GMT-0800 (Horário Padrão do Pacífico) South Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Mon Nov 25 2019 13:55:00 GMT-0800 (Horário Padrão do Pacífico)