19 Março, 2020
Purpose of position:
The Project Manager (PM) is responsible for the strategic and technical leadership and overall management of the OFDA funded project focusing on WASH and Food Sec & Livelihoods, and Protection components to support the most vulnerable populations in the targeted areas of Mozambique affected by cyclone Idai and Kenneth.
The PM is charged with leading a professional team in the accomplishment of the objectives as outlined in the grant proposal. This position has principal responsibility for the representation of the project to the donor, consortium leadership, World Vision SLT, local government representatives, and other key stakeholders. Other key responsibilities include ensuring high quality implementation of project activities, financial management according to donor requirements and international accounting standards, timely donor and other stakeholder reporting, and overall contribution to Child Well Being outcomes.
World Vision is priming this award therefore the position will require consortium management of 5 partners including building an open and working relationship with partners. This means that project manager will be the overseer of the consortium ensuring all partners achieve their objectives within scope, budget and timeframe. As the consortium lead he will liaise with critical grant stakeholders in liaison with the Programs Officer assigned to the grant.
S/He will be responsible for:
- Providing strategic leadership and oversight to the OFDA project;
- Ensuring appropriate collaboration between OFDA partners;
- Coordination with other OFDA stakeholders;
- Ensuring that effective partnership and collaboration are maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, overall coordination, information sharing and knowledge networking;
- Technical quality of each partner portfolio, coordinating partner resources to ensure that the program meets its targets and deliverables on time, within budget, and at a high level of quality;
- Ensuring accountability for the agreed project outcomes and overall objectives;
- Ensuring close cooperation with consortium management to ensure that all sectors achieve required level of integration within the complex project;
- Build capacity of project and consortium partner staff.
The PM of OFDA reports to the World Vision, Southern Africa Floods & Cyclone Emergency Response (SAFCER) Operations Manager.
- Demonstrate World Vision’s core values, vision and mission;
- Build a team of highly committed and competent staff, ensuring cooperation and coordination among relevant staff within the Project. Mentor, coach and provide opportunities for the professional growth of staff that directly report to this position;
- Create a learning environment in which staff within the assigned project regularly reflect, learn from mistakes and use lessons for personal growth and to revise work plans to improve ministry impact;
- Ensure that staff understand and follow the WV safeguarding policy and that awareness-raising on child protection, response and incident reporting is occurring.
- Ensure a startup workshop inclusive of all relevant stakeholders;
- Direct and oversee the implementation of the grant, ensuring that the project’s ultimate, Intermediate and Immediate Outcomes are achieved in line with the Detailed Implementation Plan and the available budget;
- Lead project team in participatory planning of project implementation activities, ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices and donor guidelines;
- Provide timely input and contribution to the completion of monthly work plans, monthly, quarterly and end of project reports and ensure grant management compliance consistent with donor and WV regulations;
- Manage OFDA partners for outcomes; and/or ensuring they get the support/capacity building they need;
- Ensure effective liaison with local government officials, local communities, donor representatives and other stakeholders, making use of an appropriate accountability framework;
- Gather and compile information from the District Coordinators and other relevant staff and prepare overall performance progress reports (monthly and quarterly reports) detailing achievements against plan and variance on a regular basis;
- Provide required documents/tools to support departments, particularly Finance, P&C, Procurement, Logistics and Procurement to ensure good practice in the provision of support services;
- Design strategies, partnerships and interventions to ensure project activities and implementation strategies are gender, age and disability inclusive and in compliance with World Vision requirements;
- Ensure strong communication and coordination with all team members as a means to effectively achieve project objectives;
- Ensure that international standards are adhered to (SPHERE, Do No Harm, LCP, Child Protection, etc.);
- Ensure that SAFCER’s Humanitarian Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS) are well understood by the project implementation team and properly followed;
- Travel frequently to project locations to directly monitor Cash project activities;
- Provide clear feedback to field staff and/or partners and to ensure inform the Operations Manager on necessary changes or improvements required to ensure project activities meet the objectives and deliver maximum benefit to targeted beneficiaries;
- Identify capacity building requirements of the project’s staff and work with the Operations Manager to design and deliver effective training, mentoring and other activities to address the identified gaps;
- Ensure appropriate HR planning, training and resource allocation as required for the successful implementation of project’s objectives.
Staff Supervision and Management:
- Supervise a team of senior level international and national staff with skills across a diverse set of technical areas;
- Develop and maintain an adequate human resource plan consistent with WV policies, donor requirements and local laws and ensure proper technical and operational capacity of staff to manage and implement project initiatives;
- Ensure competent and motivated staff are hired and retained;
- Conduct on-going reviews of staff performance in line with WVs performance management system, ensuring opportunities for staff feedback;
- Ensure proper technical capacity of staff is available by providing training and performance management to project staff.
- Manage grant budget within approved spending levels for both WV and OFDA Partners and ensure accurate and timely financial reports to donors and key management staff at World Vision;
- In conjunction with Finance Director, ensure grant/project compliance whereby project expenditures are reasonable, allocable, prudent and spent in accordance with donor rules and regulations to ensure compliance with external audit.
- Oversee end to end (source to beneficiary) supply and equipment procurement, acquisition, disposition, and management in compliance with WV internal and donor requirements.
Monitoring, Reporting, Documentation & Knowledge Management, and Compliance:
- Maintain effective project quality assurance mechanisms, including monitoring system for tracking of project progress against indicators, activities and key project milestones, reporting, evaluation, and communication systems;
- Conduct routine visits to all project sites for purposes of monitoring and operational support;
- Submit timely accurate and quality reports that meet donor requirements;
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures for monitoring, reporting, documentation and knowledge management, including establishment of standard tools and systems for documentation and information sharing of project progress, best practices, lessons learnt and success stories;
- Successful integration of a functional humanitarian accountability systems and structures within the operation ensuring total community participation and feedback mechanism e.g. functional A, M&E, CRM etc;
- Adhere to USAID reporting 508 compliance as outlined in award;
- Adhere to USAID Open Data policy and plan for data submission of codebooks, consent forms, data sets, questionnaires to DDL at end of the project, as outlined in award.
Liaison and Networking:
- Establish and maintain liaison with WV Mozambique/ SAFCER counterparts and consortium partner agents (including steps to build open and working relationship with partners who represent the consortium);
- Establish strong communication and working relationship with WVUS CORE team;
- Create an enabling environment for dialogue, information sharing, partnerships and, cooperation when delivering project interventions;
- Represent World vision in the local coordination forums and liaise with Government officials and OFDA-USAID, other donors, UN-bodies and other partners wherever appropriate and required;
- Represent the Project at the Technical Working Group and Executive Working Group (as an ex officio member);
- In conjunction with other stake holders, effectively advocate for changes standards, policies and legislations based on insights and demands from targeted communities;
- Effectively represent WV Mozambique operations and mission when accompanying visitors, e.g. donor and/or Government representatives, journalists and other delegations to project sites.
- Communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
- While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the duties involved in this position, World Vision reserves the right to add, remove or alter duties when necessary.
- Attend and lead weekly devotions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Master’s degree in Humanitarian Studies, Food security, social sciences, international affairs, Program management, Development studies or related field.
- Relevant professional experience managing and implementing large multi-year international Projects (assessment, proposal development, report writing and evaluation, etc).
- Demonstrated understanding of the NGO sector, public sector planning.
- 4-6 years of experience focused in the management of humanitarian programs involving rural communities to promote humanitarian response.
- Previous experience managing international assistance programs and familiarity with requirements, preferably OFDA-USAID policies and regulations (required).
- Experience in project management and programming knowledge in Food Security and Livelihoods in addition to WASH.
- Knowledge of and adherence to the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct and capability of incorporating standards in design, implementation and evaluation of relevant projects.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments, and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Commitment to World Vision Core Values and Mission statement.
- Proven ability to manage technical assistance teams.
- Keen understanding of the unique political dynamics of the country and ability to work carefully and collaboratively to maintain productive relationships with the various government entities in (country of the grant).
- Proven ability in the management of large integrated grant-funded projects in developing countries.
- Ability to integrate teams of professionals around common goals.
- Ability to work in high tension and high security risk situations and be able to adapt to rapidly changing contexts.
- Demonstrated accomplishment in working with host-country professionals, ministries and with donor colleagues in country.
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills and detail-orientation.
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written).
- Proven organizational skills and time management.
- Excellent computer skills, familiarity with MS Word, Lotus Notes, MS Excel, MS Teams and Power Point would be an added advantage.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrated experience and success managing USAID/OFDA grants.
- Portuguese, an added advantage.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically up to 50% of the time.
Apply For This Job
To apply for this job please visit: careers.wvi.org.
Expiration date: April 4, 2020